Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Flawed Sox

I was off most of last week. You would think that this would mean that I had a ton of time to knit and read. For some reason, you would be wrong. Time went quickly and there wasn't a whole lot of knitting done. About the only thing that did get done, was the second of my Beckett socks. I had left off with the second of these socks over 1/2 way done. The heel was turned and the gusset decreases began before I stopped. On Thursday, I picked the socks up and finished them. I immediately put them on and began wearing them around the house.

As you can see, I decided to reverse the colors on the second sock. I did this because they are going to be at home socks, and I like my colorwork socks and mittens to each be a bit different then the other. Why do the same exact thing 2x if you don't have to?

These are my Josh Beckett socks because Josh is #19, and he is my favorite player on the team.

The sock pattern is pretty cool, imo. It has some arch shaping in the foot. I had never done this before. The pattern instructions include directions for pin stripes and for teams without pin stripes. While the Sox do not use pin stripes in their uniform, I thought that using pin stripes would really displace the arch shaping, so I included them in the gussets and on the sole of my feet.

After finishing the toe on my second sock, I immediately stitched it closed and put it on my foot. I wore the socks for several hours then at the end of the night I went to take them off. When I went to do that I noticed something was wrong. Do you see my mistake in the picture above?

Apparently the last row of B's I knit, I was holding the chart upside down, so now those Bs face in towards me rather than out towards the world. Oops.

As for recent books that I have read they are:

Brideshead Revisited, Waugh (Ravelry book club-I enjoyed this); Possession, Byatt (Ravelry book club-hard to get into at times, but could also be enjoyable); A Year of Living Biblically, Adams (good read, fast, funny at times and respectful without being overly so); Oryx & Crake, Atwood (since I didn't like Blind Assassin, I was alittle dubious starting this book, but I definitely enjoyed it); The Keep, Eagan (a good read, the story kept me guessing for awhile); Nights of Rain and Stars, Binchy (fairly typical Binchy, quick read); Rhett Butler's People, McCaig (do NOT go around changing Margaret Mitchell's story. If you want to add details that is fine, but do not claim that Scarlett met Rhett for the second time in Charleston, if Mitchell wanted that to be their second meeting it would have been in GWTW); Tales of Beedle the Bard, Rowlings (very quick read); and finally, currently reading Annie Leibovitz At Work (loving the book-you can't tell from this blog but I actually have a great fondness for being behind the camera and I love Leibovitz's photos (who doesn't?) so it is really great getting to find out some of what is behind some of her work.) I think that covers my reading.

Sorry that this is such a very long post.

Happy New Years everyone!

3 Comments:

Blogger arianna said...

I LOVE THEM!! Especially the foot - that striping looks amazing. And, honestly, I like the little "error" - it makes them even more awesome, in my eyes. :)

Go Sox!

Also - I have been meaning to read Brideshead Revisited for AGES now; my friend recommended it to me way back in our freshman year of college, and I just kept putting off reading it...now I'm going to have to. Waugh is supposed to be excellent. Never read any of his stuff, though.

And...what else? Oh, I just wanted to wish you a happy 2009! I hope to see lots of you over it. :)

xoxoxoxo (miss you!)

3:47 PM  
Blogger KnittingReader said...

Happy New Year!

I love your socks. Josh Beckett is my favorite, too. He's from my home town.

Hopefully, I will be home for the next 4 1/2 days. I plan to read and knit as much as possible.

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so not seeing the error. And I'm sober.

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home